Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Fangirlish, Page To Premiere and That's Normal Interviews Screenwriter Daniel Waters



Going back to the love charm scene, I have to do it. Even the small glimpse of things that you see in the trailer, makes some fans nervous. So when writing the script, do you feel such pressure that you need to include those scene, but do you also feel a pressure that if you don’t do them right you are going to be crucified?

Dan: Yes, believe me my palms are very sweaty over crucifixion right now. I had no idea until that teaser came out, and it was the most analyzed film since the Zapruder film. Everyone went over it frame by frame and I think that they have to remember, it’s marketing. Especially the opening when it’s like, “Hey!” The opening was a little goofy and tried to be funny. I watched that trailer and Jillian who runs the Facebook site, and we can tell you down to the molecule what the fans would not like and were going to misinterpret. Nobody listened to us. And that’s because they rightfully had the opinion where they wanted to expand beyond the fan base. But we knew [we’d get this reaction].
For instance there is a speech in the teaser that Lissa gives, and it’s not strictly in the book. But it is kind of a companion piece to being in the book where the queen humiliates Lissa. And that actual speech, trust, I swear to God you guys are going to like it! But the way it’s cut into that teaser and it’s like, “And blood is death!” Then everyone starts cheering at blood is death and I am like what is going on? They are going to think, “okay let’s all be humans now.” It’s very misinterpreted, and it is just marketing. Please feel free to ask about anything in the teaser, so I can clear the air and save my soul. Un-crucify myself! My motto is, “you can come drag me and my brother out on the street and pour gasoline on us and light a match if you don’t like the movie, but don’t do it yet, off a one minute teaser.” Please, let us live to finish editing.

Read the rest of the interview here!


No comments: