Thursday, October 10, 2013

Yahoo! Movies Interviews Dan Waters (October 10)

Silver Stakes and More: ‘Vampire Academy’ Screenwriter Will Ease Your Mind on 5 Big Differences


Yes, Rose has a silver stake. Don't freak out.
When the 60-second teaser trailer for "Vampire Academy" premiered here on Yahoo Movies, fans got a bit nervous. Despite its sassy voiceover and quick cuts, eagle eyes caught onto some key moments that didn't quite mesh with the first book in Richelle Mead's bestselling series about a pair of teen vampire BFFs.
We get it … and so do the film's screenwriter, Dan Waters, and his brother Mark, who's directing it. And they want to make you happy.
"I have always had an attitude from the beginning that I would listen to fans and respect the fans, but not be their bitch," Dan told Yahoo Movies. "At some point, I know a little more about turning a book into a movie. I'm not one of these people who just take a paycheck and do anything, who just take the title and go with it. I'm adapting 'Vampire Academy' because I love 'Vampire Academy.'"
Before we get into Dan's explanation of some of his changes, here's one thing he didn't change that he totally wanted to: the title.
"I'm not crazy about the title — it's hard to tell the title to your adult friends," he confessed. "It sounds like Saturday morning cartoons … It just seems so kiddie. But it's so much more than that, obviously."
1. Rose has the silver stake. In the books, heroine and protector Rose Hathaway doesn't get her hands on the coveted Guardian weapon until the second book, but the trailer shows her clutching one. Dan's excuse? He wants to be able to make a second movie! "I'm sorry, I had to do it to make it interesting," he said. "When you are writing five books, you can move things at a deliberate pace. I think that without a great first movie, there is no second one." That's a fair reason, right?
Read about the other 4 big differences HERE

No comments: