Monday, February 3, 2014

Refinery29 Interviews Zoey Deutch: "Vampire Academy's Leading Lady Dishes"

You grew up in Los Angeles with parents in the business. What was your biggest takeaway or what stands out the most from growing up that way?
"I went to school normally — or as normal as it was for me. I don't really know what a normal high school experience is, I think it's individual for each person. But, what I took away from it is that I kind of gathered information that I didn't know was helpful for me until I started acting professionally. For instance, on set for Vampire Academy, [director] Mark Waters would let us literally sit in his director's chair and watch playback and that is a very rare thing. Most of the time you would get fired for even asking. I, via osmosis, had picked up this information growing up. And, I feel very fortunate that I was exposed to that world. But, my parents were very normal. We barely have a TV, we don't watch too many movies, we're very food-family-animal oriented and a classic loud, Jewish family."

Mark Waters, the director, is also the man who gave us Mean Girls. Were you a super fan?
"Hugely. That was the first thing, when they sent me the information on the project, I knew I wanted to do it. I love Mark Waters. I later fell in love with the story, but initially it was theMean Girls thing that caught my eye. We had a great relationship on the movie, too. I'm actually just realizing now that he intentionally kept me super high-strung on set. It was not normal — I would work 17-days with training during lunch and I was still super hyper. I think he was purposefully doing that…"

Vampires are taking over the world right now.
"They always have, and they keep evolving and changing depending on what society is encompassing at the time."

Did you read the Vampire Academy books before the movie or were you a fan of the vampire genre?
"It was funny, right when I got this role my dad became a producer and director of True Bloodso it was like vampire central at my house. But, no, I was drawn to the character and her relationships more than the vampire aspect. That comes secondary to who she is and what she stands for and her relationship with the characters." 

Did you find yourself siding with any particular character?
"Rose 100%. Actually, initially they sent me the information for Lissa and I did not want to play that character. I had no interest. And, then they showed me Rose and I liked her. But, I also like that she's wrong some of the times. She's the heroine, she's the narrator, she's the strong female lead, but she makes mistakes and I find strength in that vulnerability. A lot of these women are so strong but at the end of the day they're passive. Rose gets what she needs to get done in order to have the end results she wants."

Read pages 2 and 3 of the interview HERE

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ninest123 07.07
louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, tiffany jewelry, longchamp outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, burberry, coach outlet, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, kate spade handbags, longchamp, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike outlet, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, prada handbags, nike free, burberry outlet online, michael kors, tiffany and co, replica watches, louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, louboutin outlet, nike air max, coach outlet, christian louboutin outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, chanel handbags, gucci outlet, nike air max, jordan shoes

Anonymous said...

sac longchamp, true religion jeans, ralph lauren uk, lacoste pas cher, air jordan pas cher, nike air max, nike free, sac guess, north face, coach purses, michael kors, timberland, hollister, hermes, true religion outlet, air force, michael kors, michael kors, nike roshe run, vanessa bruno, mulberry, true religion jeans, nike blazer, louboutin pas cher, north face, air max, hogan, ray ban uk, ralph lauren pas cher, new balance pas cher, lululemon, burberry, oakley pas cher, hollister pas cher, vans pas cher, converse pas cher, ray ban pas cher, tn pas cher, longchamp pas cher, true religion jeans

Anonymous said...

asics running shoes, nike huarache, ferragamo shoes, celine handbags, nike free run uk, nike trainers, new balance, valentino shoes, mont blanc, nike air max, bottega veneta, hollister, nfl jerseys, abercrombie and fitch, insanity workout, p90x workout, north face outlet, nike roshe, lululemon, ghd, herve leger, birkin bag, babyliss, mac cosmetics, reebok shoes, nike air max, chi flat iron, giuseppe zanotti, jimmy choo shoes, beats by dre, north face outlet, abercrombie and fitch, nike roshe, mcm handbags, longchamp, soccer shoes, instyler, vans shoes, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses