Thursday, February 6, 2014

iBooks chats with Richelle Mead

Richelle Mead held a Twitter Q&A with iBooks on Twitter. She talked about the Vampire Academy Movie (out this Friday in US and Canada!) and shared some of her writing tips.


What books did you love to read growing up?
When I was very young, I loved historical "girl" books like Anne of Green Gables. As I teen, I got into lots of sci-fi.

How close does the Vampire Academy movie adhere to your book?
Very! They really got the dark/romantic/funny tone and included so m any fave scenes, fans will be happy... of course, there are changes, but they're small & help the film flow better. My review better explains (here)

As an author, how did it feel to see your characters come to life on film?
Amazing. The cast is so spot-on in looks and personality. Seeing Zoey & Lucy was like Rose & Lissa coming to life. They all brought out the emotion I put into the books and reminded me why I love these stories so much!

You followed up Vampire Academy with the series, Bloodlines. Was it hard to shift the attention from Rose to Sydney?
It was an adjustment getting into Sydney's head and switching tones, but I really love writing Sydney. She brings a new look to the VA world, and once I finished book #1, I understood her perfectly. :)

What is the hardest part about writing a series? How do you keep each book new and exciting?
For me, the key is planning ahead. If I know the ending, I can seed clues along the way and make sure each book serves a purpose and is exciting. If I don't plan, I start to flounder and go astray. So I outline everything!

Do you have any advice for young readers who are aspiring to be authors?
Write what you love, don't worry about if others will like it. Your passion is what fuels a story. Also write each day, even if it's just a page. People who take long breaks never finish books. It's a lot of work!

What gave you the idea to start writing Bloodlines?
I didn't want to leave the VA world but i needed a new project. I thought telling it from a human POV would be fun. Also, I really wanted to continue Adrian's story. He got a raw deal in the VA series and needed help! :)

How do you make your characters so multidimensional?
I try to make them real. I put in real emotions, things I've felt and seen. People aren't 2D in real life so I don't write my characters that way. Having flaws is also key to making them feel real.

What character is most like you?
There's a little of me in all of them. No one is exactly me since I didn't write myself into the books. Instead there are pieces. Georgina's humor, Sydney's cautiousness, etc. It's a lot of fun working with all of them!

How was it spending time with the actors on set?
It was great! They were all so friendly, and I loved seeing how passionate they were about their characters.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ninest123 07.07
louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, tiffany jewelry, longchamp outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, burberry, coach outlet, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, coach factory outlet, kate spade handbags, longchamp, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike outlet, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, prada handbags, nike free, burberry outlet online, michael kors, tiffany and co, replica watches, louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, louboutin outlet, nike air max, coach outlet, christian louboutin outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, chanel handbags, gucci outlet, nike air max, jordan shoes

Anonymous said...

asics running shoes, nike huarache, ferragamo shoes, celine handbags, nike free run uk, nike trainers, new balance, valentino shoes, mont blanc, nike air max, bottega veneta, hollister, nfl jerseys, abercrombie and fitch, insanity workout, p90x workout, north face outlet, nike roshe, lululemon, ghd, herve leger, birkin bag, babyliss, mac cosmetics, reebok shoes, nike air max, chi flat iron, giuseppe zanotti, jimmy choo shoes, beats by dre, north face outlet, abercrombie and fitch, nike roshe, mcm handbags, longchamp, soccer shoes, instyler, vans shoes, soccer jerseys, wedding dresses

Anonymous said...

wedding dresses, juicy couture outlet, marc jacobs, pandora charms, nike air max, louboutin, gucci, supra shoes, swarovski, lancel, oakley, baseball bats, links of london, montre pas cher, toms shoes, swarovski crystal, hollister, iphone 6 cases, replica watches, karen millen, hollister, converse, coach outlet, thomas sabo, juicy couture outlet, pandora charms, pandora jewelry, timberland boots, ralph lauren, nike air max, converse outlet, ray ban, hollister, vans
ninest123 07.07

Unknown said...

The NHL Jersey Packers are wholesale jersey in the midst of a three-game losing streak and 2015 Nike NFL Green Salute To Service Limited Jersey it won't get any easier for Green 2015 hot jerseys Bay this week. Part Nike NFL Jersey of Packers' NFL Max90 Shoes struggles are attributed to their various injuries on offense and Cheap Sale Jerseys defense. But their chief concern is franchise quarterback Aaron Rodgers. 2015 New Nike NFL Jerseys

Unknown said...

cheap oakleys
mulberry handbags
michael kors handbags
ed hardy
pandora jewelry
swarovski jewellery
fake rolex
cheap mont blanc
pandora jewelry outlet
cheap nfl jerseys wholesale20170317huazhen