Sunday, December 22, 2013

Richelle Mead's Interview with Moviehole

A biting chat with Vampire Academy author Richelle Mead about the upcoming movie

Most important question : How involved in the ”Vampire Academy” film are you?
My role is mostly advisory, which is completely normal for authors in book-to-movie adaptations (despite many rumors to the contrary). The movie makers make movies, I make books, and I’m totally okay with that division of labor! That being said, they’ve been really great about asking my opinion and getting my input. I was allowed to read the script and offer feedback, which was used in revisions. During production, Mark Waters asked me questions about costumes and creatures, as well as if certain choices he made would affect future books. This is actually more involvement than many authors gets, so I’m super-flattered both to have that part and that they’ve been so conscious and detail-oriented about the choices made.
How good a job have they done of condensing the book into a film? Did you have any say in that?
I’m very pleased with the adaptation. It is an adaptation, of course, so some things are trimmed or modified for the big screen, but I feel like the decisions were smart ones. They were done either because there wasn’t time or because some things which seem fascinating on the written page actually come out boring on the big screen. I was able to offer feedback after the script was written but actually only had a few comments to make. Overall, I thought they did a sound job and was particularly pleased to see that all of the big plots and subplots stayed in.
Casting-wise, who are you the most happiest with? Did you ever have anyone in mind for the roles when you were writing the book?
It’s hard to pick a favorite. I never did any mental casting while writing the books, partially because movies weren’t on my mind then but also because I didn’t want to be disappointed with any choices made later. As a result, I’m actually really thrilled with the casting. They look the part, and even more amazingly, they completely have the characters’ personalities down. Zoey [Deutch]’s been a particular stand-out. She’s got all the energy, humor, and fierceness of her character as part of her normal personality—so much so, that you almost want to call her “Rose” sometimes!
Read the rest of the interview HERE

No comments: