Monday, July 22, 2013

Q&A with Richelle Mead

Richelle Mead answers the top 13 questions sent by fans! The 30 minute chat with @VAOfficialMovie, run by The Weinstein Company, gives lots of info and insight into the development of the film!

Q: Were the movie actors and set close to what you imagined when you were writing Vampire Academy?
A: Yes! The actors were amazing match for what was in my head, and sets actually surpassed what I imagined. Beautiful.

Q: What do you think is the most important part in making a book to movie adaptation successful?
A: Most important is getting to the heart of what the author intended, both with characters and story. Make no mistake: changes must happen. But... If you've got the key parts of the plot and really nail the characters' personalities (which they have), you're in great shape.

Q: How does it feel to have your characters come to life? Did you ever see this happening?
A: It's amazing! I wish I could've watched every day of filming. Seeing the actors portray my characters reminded me of why I (and readers) love them. Authors hope this happens, but no one can ever count on it.

Q: Are you nervous/excited to see your brainchild on the big screen?
A: Excited. Everything they've done on the film is so excellent that I'm not worried. It's going to be great.

Q: What scene are you looking forward to seeing the most on screen?
A: My old answer was the ending. But after seeing a few clips while visiting the set, I can say now I'm most excited to see Rose and Dimitri's first meeting. It blew my mind. It'll blow yours.

(Read more of the Q&A underneath!) 


Q: Do the lovely actors playing the roles of Rose and Dimitri have a good chemistry on screen?
A: They do! Zoey and Danila really capture the characters' spirits. I think it helps that they're such good friends off screen too. They understand the characters and each other.

Q: Is there anything you read in the script that you wished you had written yourself?
A: Some of the jokes! Daniel Waters is hilarious and he understands Rose's sense of humor. She has great lines.

Q: What style of fighting was the inspiration for the guardians in the books and what type did the actors learn?
A: I didn't use any one kind. The guardians use a mix and I borrowed from a lot of different ones for the books. I don't know all the terms for what they're using in the movie, but they practiced a lot and it looks great.

Q: So far, what has been your favorite part of the movie experience?
A: Fan reactions. That's my favorite part in writing the books, and I'm loving it with the movie too.

Q: If you could have a small role in the movie, what scene would you like to be in and who would you like to be?
A: I'm no actor! Not at all. I'd need something very small, with minimal movement and no lines. :)

Q: What was your favorite experience when you visited the movie set?
A: Seeing the actors embody the characters. I nearly cried watching Zoey and Lucy so beautifully be Rose and Lissa.

Q: What impressed you the most on your Vampire Academy set visit?
A: The hard work that everyone, cast and crew, were doing. Those were long hours, but everyone stepped up. Even more amazing was just how well everyone got along and seemed to love what they were doing.

Q: If you could be any one of your characters in the Vampire Academy series, who would you be?
A: Sorry, I don't think I want to be any of them! Those guys have too many problems. :)

+ a BONUS question!

Q: Were you happy when u found out that Mark Waters (#MeanGirls) would direct & Daniel Waters (#TheHeathers) would write #VampireAcademy? 
A: Yes and Yes. I LOVE Mean Girls and Heathers. The Waters Brothers are my dream team. So, so talented.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this info. Keep up the neat work. I'll be returning often thanks for sharing...

ENG vs BAN 1st Match Playing 11 (Probable Playing XI)
India vs Bangladesh Team Squad & Player List